Driving in dangerous conditions or tough terrains is not fun but you can have a hassle free drive with 4WD system. With this system, you will have options whether it will be on the front, rear or on all the 4 tires. The determinants are the kinds of conditions you drive in and the kind of driver you are.
In the car market today, this is the most common system for various reasons. The manufacturers prefer it since it is easier and cheaper to design while car owners prefer it as they are assured of better gas mileage. Other advantages are such as:
- Front-wheel drive is less complex
- Guaranteed good traction due to the fact that the weight of the transmission and the engine are over the wheels
This is another option when looking for a wheel-drive vehicle. You have option in terms of engine placement as it could be at the front, middle or at the back. Due to the many benefits of rear-wheel drive system, most executive vehicles and sports cars utilize this system
- Enjoy better acceleration
- The car is well-balanced due to equal weight distribution
- It’s easy to handle the car
- It’s easy for the vehicle to handle tight corners
Although not common in executive and small cars, you will find some with the four-wheel drive system. The system is highly associated with SUV models. The driver does not need to take any action to engage four-wheel drive in case of dangerous weather conditions or tough terrain. Despite being less fuel efficient, there are great things associated with all-wheel drive vehicles.
- There is better grip and traction while driving
- It’s more ideal for off-road driving than other powertrains
- Great in taking corners
- You have more confidence and control when driving
If you are concerned about the costs of maintaining your car especially when it comes to fuel economy, front-wheel drive is the ideal option. But if you are more concerned about performance and acceleration, you should go for rear or four-wheel drive vehicles.
An all-wheel drive vehicle is more expensive than other powertrains but offers the best performance. Whether you are looking for an all-wheel drive, a rear or front-wheel drive, it all depends on your preference and capability to take care of it. It’s important that you consider the pros and cons of each powertrain.